Monday, June 2, 2008

What a wonderful weekend!


What a wonderful weekend.  The Studio Tour left me exhausted, physically, but very blissed out!  It was so energizing sharing my new Garden Studio space with kindred spirits.  I very much enjoyed Veronica's company, and for me, it was a lovely surprise that she joined us!  I had invited her to come down and paint on-site for the Studio tour, but was not sure that she would be able to!  What a delight to have her painting with us.

Brian Clute also was a part of our group.  I admire his ability to sit on the floor, for hours on end, meditatively adding mark, after mark, building up layers of colour on his abstract interpretation of "Exhaled Breath."

Also joining us was Anna Williamson, from Rocky Mountain House.  Anna is a self-taught weaver whose works delighted those who saw them.  Her colours are so earthy, and her designs very exciting.  I hope to feature some of her work later in the summer.  I'll keep you up-to-date on her work.

The most amazing thing for me, though, was seeing Don Hamm arrive with his oil paints.  He actually worked on-site, working up a painting of the studio that he put the cedar shakes on!!!  I may sound amazed, but it's only because I know that Don prefers to paint without interruption, or distraction, and here he was!

I get so excited watching fellow artists lost in the passion of their creative processes!  I'll post some pictures tomorrow showing them all in various states of creativity!

Well, this night-hawk needs to call it a day!  I hope your muse accompanies you on a creative journey of your own tomorrow!

Artgirl
   

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This looks terrific already. And it feels exactly like you. As I look through your list of Favorite Links I recognize so many of the artists - I've read books by Sabrina Ward Harrison and Nick Bantock, had the priviledge of seeing the work of a number of the artists including Bev Tosh and Bobbi Burgers, and also am fortunate enough to own one of Grant Leier's pieces from his "Romance Dining" series (and got to meet both of them at their home/studio - a real treat!)...no wonder I feel such a connection with you.

Artgirl said...

Amazing Veronica!!!! We really do need to spend some more time together!!!

I just have to say that I have all of Sabrina Ward Harrison's books (I hope she keeps creating them.) I also own a Grant Leier book, as well as a painting of his! It was a pleasure to meet Nixie and Grant, again, at a show opening at Canada House 2 years ago! I never did make it to their glorious garden while I was on the island! Maybe next time.

Then there is Nick Bantock! Well, this was an amazing "happening" in my life. Meeting Nick Bantock, let alone taking a course with him, was on my list of "5 things I must do before I die." I was very blessed to have taken a three-day course with him last year through an aquaintance I'd made at an art class in Victoria!

Bev Tosh I know through a mutual friend, (Connie Pike) and keep telling myself that some day I WILL take a class from her at Red Deer Summer Series.

And Bobbie Burgers, well, her work just really resonates with something deep inside of me. Florals, and the use of powerful words in her paintings. Very moving!

It really is amazing to see how many artist's we both enjoy! I never did get to show you my "Klimt" porcelain mugs! That will be something to share with you on your next visit down! Thanks for visiting my post Veronica!